Bed Bug Precautionary Tales

This summer’s headlines are alive with stories about bed bugs – and Canada is no different. This morning I discovered this little gem on the CTV News website. According to a survey by the National Pest Management Association in the US, “one in five Americans has had bed bugs or knows someone who has, and 80 per cent are afraid of encountering them in hotels.” Personally, I’m surprised that only 80 per cent are afraid of encountering them – shouldn’t that number be 100 per cent. My guess is that the other 20 per cent are unaware of their existence – poor souls. Bed bugs are turning up all over the world, with infestations in major cities being reported regularly.

This morning’s article led to another wonderful discovery – bed bug repellent! I would like to say that I do not endorse this product and I’m not guaranteeing that this stuff actually works as well as it says it does, but if you’re planning on travelling to a bug-infested hotspot, you might want to consider its use. Feel free to report back to us on its reliability, although this might be difficult to ascertain. If it works, you’ll have nothing to report.

The product: Green Rest Easy. What I liked about this product immediately is that it’s organic, which means it’s safe to use around children and pets – and, well, it won’t hurt you too. This product is the perfect travel companion – spray it on beds and luggage before, during and after your trip. It might not keep them away permanently, but it should, at the very least, repel them for a short time. I would not use this product if you have a bed bug infestation in your home. Contact a professional exterminator for the most effective solution.

Here are some of the specs on Green Rest Easy – taken from their website:

  • 100% based on all-natural ingredients (lemongrass and cinnamon oils)
  • Meets USDA requirements for use around Organic Food processing
  • Exempt from classical pesticide registration as having Minimum Risk
  • Safe for use around children and pets – pesticides containing pyrethrins and pyrethroids are known to cause nerve damage and are probable endocrine disruptors. The use of these pesticides can increase the risk of birth defects, hormonal imbalances and leukemia.